Heating and cooling costs account for the largest expense in your home, and comprise about 54 percent of all energy used by homeowners, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. During the spring, you might be enjoying low utility bills, but the hot Texas Summer months are coming, and soon you’ll be running your air conditioning around the clock trying to stay comfortable. That could cost you a lot if your AC isn’t ready. If you follow these simple steps to ensure your units are running as efficiently as possible, you can help offset cooling costs this summer. Replace the air filters. It’s probably the easiest AC maintenance you can do, and many people aren’t doing it often enough. Keeping your filter clean can cut energy consumption 5 to 15 percent. Clear away leaves, grass, weeds, plants and other debris that block airflow through the outdoor condensing unit. Anything that collects on the unit’s fins will block airflow and reduce your AC’s performance. Check to make sure air conditioning vents inside your home are not obstructed by furniture.Hire a professional to properly service your air conditioner and get it ready for use. A well-trained technician will find and fix problems in the system. GRPI is the Austin Area’s Top Choice in professional heating, air conditioning and commercial refrigeration inspection service. I am your neighbor and personally perform every inspection. To get your AC system ready for summer I will:
- Check filters.
- Check for the correct amount of refrigerant.
- Measure temperature through the evaporator coil and check air flow.
- Check condenser and compressor operation.
- Check and make sure condensate drains are working.
- Check the accuracy of the thermostat. If you don’t already have one, you can save up to $100 a year by installing a setback thermostat.
- Inspect electric terminals, clean and tighten connections.
- Check belts and oil motors for tightness and wear.
With proper maintenance, central air conditioning units should last at least 12 to 15 years or more. Homeowners need to regularly service their central air conditioners to keep them running properly. Call George Russell Professional Inspections now at 512-296-9538 to make an appointment for your AC check-up. Mention this article and get my check-up special.